My photo
wife. mom. adjunct professor. we homeschool. i'm a little bit OCD. i love math. bright colors and geometric designs make me drool. we live with a medical rarity, and Jesus saved his life. through that, Jesus is changing us. The american dream and status quo is overrated...and sometimes just plain wrong. our lives, our family, our careers, our faith are all now filtered through a new lens-- thank you Jesus. welcome to our crazy. feel free to take some of it with you, we have plenty to go around.
It's not the load that breaks you down; it's the way you carry it.
-- Lena Horne


The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.-- Jesus Christ

Sunday, May 31, 2009

life with two children

So...just when you get one child figured out, you decide it's time to have another one.  While that one is getting ready to grace the world with his presence, your firstborn decides to become totally unpredictable, so that when the second baby arrives...all chaos breaks loose.

Actually, Sawyer is really good w/ Ridge.  He likes to hug him and kiss him and say "I love you, brother."  He also likes to throw a lot more fits since brother arrived.  And these fits, or any type of crying in general, usually occur as Ridge is crying....crying from a tummy ache, or to be held, or to be fed, or because he wants to fight his sleep.   One child crying is enough to stress me out, but two at once is enough to send me over the edge some days.  I guess it's just part of life with children as opposed to life with A (as in single) child.  But I love them...both of them...and life was so wonderful when we were a family of three, but I can't even imagine not being a family of four now that Ridge is here.  

I write this low on energy and down in the dumps b/c I go back to work for....ONE DAY...tomorrow.  I just have to get all checked out from school, but somehow I'm just not really looking forward to it.  Five, almost six, weeks off of work will do that to you.  However, this is my second time around w/ motherhood, and both times, those six weeks post-baby are enough to remind me that God's call on my life is most definitely not to be a stay at home mother.  I do not have the patience- not b/c a child is particularly good or bad, but because I feel like I have to constantly cater to either child's need if I choose to stay home-- you know- feeding them, changing them, loving them, reading to them, playing with them... and all the while I am looking at the gajillion dust particles on my candlesticks that I never noticed when I was at work.  Who dusts their candlesticks?  Don't tell me if you do.  It is this type of obsessive behavior that I must avoid at all costs- and a job allows me to ignore the dirt.  My house will always be picked up if you come to visit...but rest assured, it will not be clean.  Well, the bathrooms will be...I will make sure of that if you are coming over...announced, of course.  This obsessive behavior would not stop if I stayed home, I wouldn't "get used" to the dirt. I wouldn't.  I can't. It's not in me.  I can't ignore the 9807879 pounds of laundry growing by the second.  I can't ignore the fuzz off of our rug that is all over the wood laminate in the living room.  I can't ignore it, not if it's staring me in the face all day.  Can't do it.  But let me go to my chaotic, sloppy, messy desk at work (which is also covered in dust...but somehow at work, none of the mess bugs me)....let me go there, and I will not notice the dirt at work NOR will I notice it at home...and we will all be better for it.

So this posting doesn't have a lot of point to it...but I wanted to preface some pictures with some type of story of our boys...but here are some pics of when Ridge joined the crew about a month ago.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I loved reading your blog. Very entertaining. I like hearing the funny stories about Sawyer and Ridge. Hopefully we can get together this summer before you go back to work!