My photo
wife. mom. adjunct professor. we homeschool. i'm a little bit OCD. i love math. bright colors and geometric designs make me drool. we live with a medical rarity, and Jesus saved his life. through that, Jesus is changing us. The american dream and status quo is overrated...and sometimes just plain wrong. our lives, our family, our careers, our faith are all now filtered through a new lens-- thank you Jesus. welcome to our crazy. feel free to take some of it with you, we have plenty to go around.
It's not the load that breaks you down; it's the way you carry it.
-- Lena Horne


The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.-- Jesus Christ

Sunday, May 30, 2010

updates

Updates...

First off, update on the family we are wanting to help.  It isn't June 1st yet, so you still have time to either purchase something (in which case, all profits go towards this so far anonymous family) or send a donation. In either case, you can email me if you need to contact me.  After June 1st, I will let you know how the response was (several of you have placed orders/sent donations....I really don't know how many people read the blog, and some orders have come in that are in no way related to this story, but the profits from those orders are going to help this anonymous- so far- family as well....anyway, I say several, but I suppose that's relative to how many people read the blog.  I'd say 10% of you have responded, but i may be setting the bar too high bc maybe not as many people read my blog as I think! ha)...ANYWAY, please take the time to respond with some sort of help. I know finances are tight-- of course we know and understand that-- you are reading a post by a woman who quit her job to stay home with a baby who incurs WAY more medical bills than the check she forfeited to stay home with him.  But our community, our friends, and even total strangers, have rallied around us and helped us in so many ways.  One of those ways has been financially, and with every penny that comes in (yes, pennies and other coins-- thanks to elementary schools in the community, as well as a coin war at my mom's school (props to you WHS!)), we are reminded of God's faithfulness, and of the goodness humanity still has.  So would you consider being one of those "strangers"-- a good samaritan of sorts-- to this other family in need?  Really, even $1, or $5, or whatever, will make a  difference, I PROMISE!  Here's a little more about the family, but I know even this will give some of it away, bc the world is too small for one of you to not know who I'm talking about when I give hints like this.  This is an Oklahoma family.  Tragedy came upon them really pretty suddenly with one of their children.  The tragedy then became three-fold when they found out this same tragedy actually affects EACH of their children.  I know some of you already know who I'm talking about, and I will go into more detail later, but please know I don't know the family at all so my details are limited.  The prognosis is not good, and the only medical hope they have lies in another state, and would be semi-long term as far as uprooting goes.  I'm about to spill all the beans so I will stop-- but I promise, this is a great, huge, desperate need, in my opinion.  It seems an impossible feat, or it would to me, if I were sitting in their shoes-- impossible apart from God.  But we are His hands and feet, so how can you help to meet this family's need?  Whatever you can do, however small, BDawg and I are asking you to do it.  I believe we are blessed when we sacrifice, but even if it isn't a sacrifice, and it's just something you are fortunate enough to be able to do, please do it!  I don't ask a lot from my blog readers, normally I just try to keep you informed, hopefully make you laugh, and hook you up with some prizes when I have some (which I do, I have three sitting in my garage right now...), but right now, I am asking you to please consider giving, no matter how "small" you think your gift is. 

Next update: OUR family.  Ridge is doing so well at home this time.  Four more days and we will be totally off the steroids (pray pray pray!!!  Those four days will be scary and the ones after those, just watching to see if he bleeds, will be even scarier!).  We had an upset yesterday when mobile Ridge got his central line pulled/stretched an unrealistic amount.  I literally was about to hyperventilate-- breathing super fast and loud and totally freaked out in panic mode.  BDawg rushed Ridge to the ER, where they xrayed and said it was still internally in place...the nurses/doctors/surgeon (i think) looked at the external part of the line and said it didn't look damaged, so they redressed it and sent him home. THANK YOU JESUS. I totally thought we'd be hanging out for ANOTHER holiday weekend in the hospital, awaiting a surgery date for a new central line. But thank the good Lord, no, we will not be sitting in the hospital this weekend.  We did have a good friend take some pictures of our family in our backyard.  I've mentioned it before, we are so blessed to have such talented friends!  We have several photographer friends, all of whom are very good at what they do.  So thanks to all of our friends!  I will let you sneak a peek at some of those pictures after I see them myself!

Sawyer is doing well, as well.  He's a mess-- all day long the other day,and often since then, he has called me Spits.  Yep. He'll say, "what are you doin, Spits?" and so on...it becomes ridiculous- but it is sure funny! He also told me in the car, when i asked him to repeat himself (I said, "what did you say?" because i didn't understand something he said) and he replied, "nothing. nothing that concerns yoooouuuu."  yeah.  smarty pants.  Smarty pants is getting new bedding for his bed- I ordered it this past week.  Not for the twin bed in his room currently, but for the full size bed in our garage-- he's moving up to an even bigger bed!

BDawg might be getting Lasik this week. He's blind as a bat and his glasses broke and his backups are missing a nosepiece, so his newest broken ones are working-- with superglue. ha ha ha.  I LOVE glasses-- on anyone.  I understand they are annoying to those who have to wear them, but I find them aesthetically pleasing.  But since i've known Bdawg, his momma has offered to help out with that procedure, and we've always declined, but it seems a good idea now, given our situation with Ridge and the fact BDawg goes to the eye doctor almost 3 hours away bc of some history with one of his eyes.  And 3 hours away just isn't gonna work with Ridge's condition.  So here we go!  Pray for all of that bc this week might just end with me having a husband who can SEE...but is less aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. ha ha, no i'm totally kidding- i just don't recognize him without glasses.  I mean, i KNOW who he is, but he just doesn't look like himself to me.  I will learn. 

As for me,I'm the same.  Working on my jewelry, crochet, sewing....yep.  Cooking breakfast more, super glad it's summer break for the hubs, and praying we stay out of the hospital as much as possible this summer.  Let's kick this MLT in the B-U-T (t)....i know, two t's, but one sounded better. 

Be a blessing today!
Alisha

3 comments:

PJ said...

Hey Alisha! Good to hear from you (or at least see that you visited me.)Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Ridge's tube was ok. Be sure and keep an extra pair of glasses around for BDawg, even after the Lasik. My brother-in-law had it done and within three years he was wearing glasses and/or contacts again. The surgery didn't last. You might want to investigate a little more before doing it.

God Bless!
PJ

Susan said...

Hey....I totally want to buy some stuff in order to help out the family you are collecting for, I just haven't had a good opportunity to sit down and decide what to get! I promise I will try and get that done today! I'm glad Ridge is doing well and I loved the new pics of the fam! So cute! Oh yeah, and thanks for the blog header you made for me...I also haven't had a chance to try it on yet, or even see if I can figure out how, but I will let you know if I need some help!
:)
Susan

Kris B said...

Just a stranger who came across your blog randomly... It has broken my heart and blessed me. I have a niece who was born at 26 weeks gestation 2 1/2 years ago, and has some resulting complications. My family knows well the weeks, months and holiday weekends spent in the hospital by her 'crib'side. She has also had a central line for just over 2 years. Just a hint for the 'pulling'/'stretching' of it... we put a piece of tape around the line, put a safety pin through the tape, and pin it to her shirt. Her line broke once, and this has prevented it from happening again. You just have to be careful that people know, so that they don't take the shirt off without 'unpinning' the line. It keeps it up and out of the way. Just an idea. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save.