My photo
wife. mom. adjunct professor. we homeschool. i'm a little bit OCD. i love math. bright colors and geometric designs make me drool. we live with a medical rarity, and Jesus saved his life. through that, Jesus is changing us. The american dream and status quo is overrated...and sometimes just plain wrong. our lives, our family, our careers, our faith are all now filtered through a new lens-- thank you Jesus. welcome to our crazy. feel free to take some of it with you, we have plenty to go around.
It's not the load that breaks you down; it's the way you carry it.
-- Lena Horne


The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.-- Jesus Christ

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Shout out for NOT getting sick! The best defense....

Okay so I have to share this for those of you who have not heard of it-- which is probably most of you, because I JUST learned about it and I'm a germaphobe!

Knowing the parents that read this blog, as well as many of the teachers that do so, I think this is a noteworthy short post.

Recently, randomly, by chance or some act of God :), I discovered Prefense.  I will disclaim here-- I'm not being paid, at all, to write this.  There is a small chance I might win some hand sanitizing wipes, but I'm bankin that my odds aren't great there- I'm really just sharing bc I think it's worth sharing!

So what is Prefense?  Basically, short version-- it is a silica based hand sanitizing foam product available in a 640 pump bottle or a 120 pump bottle, and now, also hand sanitizing wipes!  What does it do?  It creates a germ busting barrier on your skin that lasts for up to 24 hours or up to 10 hand washings/sanitizings.  This means you only use it once a day.  It is all natural and non toxic should your kids, um, eat it.  Because you only apply it once daily, I would have to assume it does not crack the skin as badly as repeatedly using alcohol based sanitizers (which is what I have used till now....I just got my shipment of Prefense products, which I ordered from their online store, http://www.prefense.com/products/, a week or so ago.  Because it is non-toxic, if you so choose, you can also apply it to the nose/mouth areas for 24 hour protection of germs there....

Price wise, I am a tightwad, so it was a bit of a stretch for me to purchase until I did the math.  A small bottle of it (very small...but lasts 120 pumps) is around $7.  In our family, we easily go through an economy size of alcohol based sanitizer in a month.  This varies from $4.50-$7 depending on where I'm shopping for it.  And that lasts 3 of us a month- B is always at work, so he uses sanitizer there.  Prefense would last all four of us a month, bc one pump a day is enough to last ALL day.  So it doesn't cost any more.  The 640 pump bottle is $17.  If we do the math as 120 pumps lasts 1 month, 640 would last a little over 5 months, right?  Which means you are spending about $3.50 per month, actually a little less I believe.  That's cheaper than alcohol based sanitizers.  Prefense breaks it down to about 6 cents a day.  You use it once a day....versus 10+ times a day for alcohol based sanitizers to be effective.

So we are totally giving it a try!  Their new hand sanitizing wipes are available at their online store, and soon will be available at their Amazon store.

I think this is totally worth a shout out- for anyone whose kids go to daycare, school, the nursery at church, mother's day out, um, even restaurants, the zoo, etc etc.  And if I were still in the classroom full time, I would totally have a bottle of it on my desk, or even one of their large wall units in my room!  If I can give my students clean hands like this ALL day long, they won't get sick as often, they won't miss as much class, and if they aren't sick, the odds of ME getting sick is smaller.  I do not see a downside to this product at all!  And remember, I'm totally not getting paid to say this- I really believe it is worth a try!

The best defense...is a strong Prefense.  (Their words, not mine! But I believe it!)

No comments: