My photo
wife. mom. adjunct professor. we homeschool. i'm a little bit OCD. i love math. bright colors and geometric designs make me drool. we live with a medical rarity, and Jesus saved his life. through that, Jesus is changing us. The american dream and status quo is overrated...and sometimes just plain wrong. our lives, our family, our careers, our faith are all now filtered through a new lens-- thank you Jesus. welcome to our crazy. feel free to take some of it with you, we have plenty to go around.
It's not the load that breaks you down; it's the way you carry it.
-- Lena Horne


The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.-- Jesus Christ

Saturday, January 9, 2010

wanted some cake

I'm waiting on some pictures to upload...so thought I'd update the blog. 

Ridge still seems to be doing well.  His diapers are somewhat darker, but are not black yet.  His hgb was still stable this morning- 9.3.

I wanted some white cake.  We had white icing (store bought), but no cake mixes.  I love store bought cake mixes. Love them.  But we didn't have one, so I went out on a limb and decided to make a scratch white cake.  I love to bake.  But not cakes.  I like to decorate cakes, but I'd rather bake cookies or brownies or some kind of bars or pies or whatever, NOT cake...but I did it.  And it turned out to be deliiiicious.  It looks horrible, but it tastes GREAT.  I mean, this is a cake I'd be proud to serve my grandma.  Or your grandma.  Or anyone's grandma.  Except that I used store bought icing.  I'm not proud of that.  But i LIKE store bought icing!  And the texture of that cake- perfect.  Moist, but crumby...just like cake should be.  I win on this one. It's good.  Thanks to google, I found a recipe I love, and I figured out how to make cake flour when I only have all purpose flour.  Super duper hooray on this cake.



Ridge and Sawyer, twice this week, both took naps at the same time. suh-weet!  great great greatness. 

That nap...for the Ridger...was short.


A few questions I received:
1. are ridge's meds oral or given in a port/IV?  Only the Octreotide we mix ourselves is an intravenous med. So...all those syringes you saw in the last post?  That's all oral meds.  And he takes them like a champ. 
2. What's Ridge's favorite toy?  His daddy's cap. Hands down.  That's what he likes.  He also likes to play with his brother- no matter what Sawyer's playing with.  And anything that crackles/crinkles, Ridge loves that too- he likes the sound.
3.  What's Ridge's favorite meal?  Well, this one's easy, bc, although Ridge started baby food around 4 or 5 months of age, and he loved it all except the fruit, we had to stop feeding him baby food, because when he would start bleeding, it was hard to decipher if his diapers were darker bc he ate green beans or carrots, etc etc, or because he was bleeding.  So, while Ridge's favorite meal might be baby squash, or mum-mums or whatever is on our plate, right now he's stuck with being breastfed.  So, I guess that's his favorite.  That's all he gets! :)
4. Is he a momma or daddy's boy.  I'm not gonna lie.  He likes his dad.  But, hands down, this kid's a momma's boy.  He doesn't have a chance to be anything else- I'm the one who is always always around him!  But he'll take some good naps on his daddy.  And daddy can make him laugh.  But he really loves his momma!  I get the most smiles and the most giggles and the most squeals (well, maybe sawyer gets a tied amt of squeals from the ridgemater)....anyway, but all in all, the boy loves ME!  And I'm okay with that.
I think that's all the questions I got!  And 3 of those 4 are from KJ- so thanks for taking the bait and giving me some topics to discuss, mister! 



This week looks to be a busy week if we aren't back in the hospital.  We have something Mon, Tues, AND Wed. Barfo.

Peace out- I'm going to play Mario Bros.

2 comments:

Alethea said...

I'm so glad you are home making white cake from scratch in your own kitchen! You made me really hungry, since I like white cake with white icing a lot also. Isn't it great to be able to look up recipes on the computer? So here's my question: How is Sawyer doing these days? Thanks for sharing all the info with us about what it is like to care for Ridge.

PJ said...

I couldn't make a cake from scratch if I tried! I tried making Christmas cookies one time and they turned out so hard they would have shattered the window if I'd have thrown one at it! Box mixes it is for me!

Love & Prayer,

PJ

I am so glad that Ridge is doing ok.